Thursday, June 28, 2012

Learning to see

Once I got the basic hang of my camera,  how to set exposure and composition I thought I was ready to shoot pictures. And so I did, a few shots that I had in my head of my favourite lake side, the Upvan lake.

But i dried up quickly and I realised that I really didn't know what to make photos of. So my immediate assignment was to learn to see. And I wanted exercises that would help me see.

Bryan Peterson's Learning to See Creatively is a great book - lucid and interestingly written. Here's his blog.
Also artofphotography.tv has a series of podcasts - Master Class Live  which is another great approach to opening up your vision as a photographer.

Here are some blogs that I have read and bookmarked, hope they help you:

Since a photograph is basically two-dimensional art the design principles must apply. Hence I ordered Betty Edwards workbook so I am going to dabble in drawing till I learn to 'see'. Hmmm... let's see I may just post a pair of before/after drawings if and only if they don't embarass me too much!


No comments: