Friday, February 13, 2009

Dev D movie reactions

Well this one's not a movie review aimed at those who'd like to read what others say about a movie before risking their movie ticket or DVD money. It is more my personal reaction to watching the movie. I warn you there may be spoilers for those who haven't watched Dev D yet.

Anurag Kashyap's (AK) interpretation of the classic Devdas, a novel by Saratchandra, reflects the zeitgeist.

To Indians who have either been brought up on the novel or various movies based on this novel, the story and characters need no introduction, hence I will skip that part. What is refreshing is how true Dev D remains to the spirit of the original story while ensuring a wholly new experience.

In its individual adaptation the deviation is in how the movie brings to surface the question 'What's your trip in life?'. Something I suspect that Saratchandra wanted his readers to ponder over and conclude on their own. The other deviation is the alternate ending of the story which is particularly why I say that the movie reflects our life and time today. The ending is interesting to me because it seems to mark the end of AK's depression and angst! But though I like the new one I think the movie is weaker for it, in the sense that this version is not the one that will stay with you forever and become a part of your emotional and social psyche which the original succeeding in doing. [My mind lingers to another movie and I wonder if AK and Vikramaditya Motwane the screen writers had to struggle as did Emma Thompson's character in ' Stranger than fiction', but i digress :-) ]

Overall the film is raw and realistic and yet lacks cynicism and the story telling is crisp (finally a movie that seems to know the audience has intelligence!).

And for those who have been reading this and have not yet watched the movie... Watch it, your money will be well spent!

No comments: